Monday, May 19, 2014

The Great Race

I'd be lying if I didn't say the events leading up to the execution of this race didn't include a few arguments, but in the end everything worked out great.  Sol and Abe got to enjoy their first ever sleep over.  Jonas learned the meaning of 'up at the crack of dawn'.  Monte got to run his 1/2 marathon.  And Jo and I got to spend some one on one time running the 5K.

We made it out of the canyon by it's schedule 6:00 am closure time.  We still had 45 minutes to wait until the start of our race.  That time spent waiting ended up being the most difficult part of our day.  Trying to stay warm in what little clothing we had, in cool 6:00 am temperatures, and typical windy mouth of the canyon conditions.  By the time they said go Jo's lips were blue, and his teeth were chattering, but all of that quickly changed.  He set the pace and we'd agreed to only walk through the water stations, which he took full advantage of.  More than once I had to go and retrieve him from his excited placement in front of a cookie tray or the basket of free Cliff energy bars.  My fanny pack (yes I wore a fanny pack), was full of not only some cash, our keys, and Monte's cell phone, but the collection of Jo's energy treats.  I think we could have ran the race at least two more times before the novelty wore off.  It could have been the cookies kicking in, but Jo sprinted that last half mile like a champ, and when they put that medal around his neck, I could have cried.... wait I did cry.

We still had plenty of time to wait to cheer Monte through the finish line, so what did we do?  What any growing boy would want to do.... eat!  He'd already broken into the fanny pack stash, after consuming the creamy they'd given him at the end of the race, but he was ready for more.  A stop at the bread store for a honey smothered slice of bread, and a second stop at the gourmet doughnut shop, finally left him satisfied, at least for the moment.    

He was licking the glaze from his fourth visit into the doughnut box when we spotted Monte running the last few blocks to the finish line.  He jumped up to make that final push with his Dad.  He was so happy.  It was a personal best, hopefully in more ways than one, I could have never guessed that the day would have turned out so successful.  I've realized how important moments like this are, important for Monte and I to feel the love and support from our sons, and important for our boys to see their father or mother accomplish something they've worked so hard for.  I think these moment are partially the reason for my next big adventure, an open water swim on the Summer Solstice.  Hopefully they'll make the 500 mile drive, and although I'm not certain I want anyone to join me for that 'final push' to the finish line, I would love to hear their cheers.     

As we slurped our smoothies on the ride home, I listened to Jo and Monte swap stories about their races.  Jo gave an animated description of our race, how we actually got to run under the road, and how next year we'll run it with both Sol and Abe(?), and he'll show them how awesome the water stops are.  Monte explained the great energy of the crowd, and the difficult transition from the canyon hills to the flat roads.  And they both shared the love of running through the finish line together.... who knows, maybe next year Jo can experience even more fun water stops and run the 1/2 marathon with Monte..... I'll just buy the doughnuts.   

1 comment:

  1. I am so happy that you and your family love running. I don't enjoy running but I enjoy people who do. Way to go on the race.