Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Three Little Monkeys Jumping Off the Bed.....


"That is not an acceptable way to get down from the table", "Please get down from there!", "Your going to get hurt!", "What happens if your hands slip?", "Your going to break something!" "Please Stop!".

I can't count the number of times I've been knocked in the head from a swinging leg the last couple of months.  You heard me right, a swinging leg, swinging in the middle of the kitchen.  I guess it's time to set some rules about using house structures as monkey bars.





I enjoy having help with Saturday morning breakfast, but having a three year old using your cutting board and stove top as a hurdle in his obstacle course seems a bit precarious.




Even the furniture isn't safe, the couch becomes a base in a game of hot lava, and anything elevated becomes a jumping platform.



A quick glance in the mirror, and then a perfect spinning dismount (which he did right after this picture was taken)

The loud thumps, from flying children, I hear resonating from their bedroom is further cause for alarm.  I can't help but gasp when I wake a very sleepy, stumbly, eight year old and he clumsily jumps from his top bunk (can't even function enough to get dressed, but jumps from his bed like a long jump champ).




And why use the steps like a normal person when you can scale up the side like a monkey.




The short hall to get to the bathroom isn't without it's challenges.  For some finding a 'little monkey'  hanging from the sink when they get to the bathroom might seem strange, but not me that just means he's practicing good hygiene and just washed his hands.




We all watched my pick from the movie section at the library the other night, Chimpanzee by Disney, it was a big hit (well Monte wouldn't join us, seen one to many Chimpanzee gone wild specials on Animal Planet).  I found myself totally relating to the mother chimpanzee's glazed over expressions as they attempted to function normally all while a troop of little ones flipped, tumbled, swung, and dangled over their heads.  What do you think, is 27 degrees warm enough for a trip for the park, not to ice skate, but to use up some of this extra energy on a set of real monkey bars?  Probably not, but in the mean time I don't know what to do about all this monkey business, where did they learn it was alright to use the house as their playground....... I wonder???????


4 comments:

  1. This is awesome. Your house has just so many wonderful things for your boys (all four of them) to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'M PRETTY SURE SYRINA WOULD BE SWINGING FROM THE HOUSE IF SHE WASN'T TAKING THE PICTURES.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. AND COME TO THINK OF IT SO WOULD LISSA AND DANIELLE WOULD WATCH AND LAUGH,,,,
    CHELSEE WOULD BE UP THERE SWINGING TOO....

    ReplyDelete
  4. That wall climbing that the boys are doing in the hallway is something I used to do with a friend at her house. It takes a specific kind of hallway for that. I remember having so much fun getting up and down from those walls. Somewhere I have a picture of us doing that and I love that memory.

    ReplyDelete