Wednesday, October 2, 2013

The Ugly Step Sister(s)

 
In early spring our beautiful bunch of hens were reduced over night to a tiny two.  The incident left one of my lovely girls (that's what I call my chickens), in such shock she refused to leave her pen, and she became incredibly broody.  Her lonely sister hen soon began to join her.  This went on for several weeks, until I decided to do something about it.  I collected some fertile eggs and gave her a reason to brood.  She took to the eggs instantly, and now with lifted spirits tended to her egg hatching duties.  After just a few short weeks she was the proud new mom of nine baby chicks.  The funny thing is, the eggs I  gathered were from a neighbor who has different types of hens, and a small bantam rooster.  She gathers and uses her eggs daily, so our new chicks from her eggs, were a first of a unique bunch.  One chick in particular looked very different from the start, she was twice the size of the others, and already sporting some funny fluffy feathers.  As they all began to grow I started to refer to her as the Ugly Step Sister.  I know it sounds a bit harsh, but really she is my favorite (sssshhhhh, don't tell the others).  She is by far the most cautious, and always tries to hurry away from our feet, but because of her shape, she is rather awkward, and is always stumbling and crashing into the others.  She has her place in the group, I would have her no other way, and truthfully I will be the most excited for her eggs, when she begins to lay.

Yep that's her, the orangey, fluffy one to the right
Sometimes I come home with a treasure that is like the Ugly Step Sister, really pretty comical to look at, but a treasure all the same.  That's how it is with these vintage metal T.V. trays, I almost laugh when I look at them, but it wouldn't be right if they looked any different then they do.  I was able to use them for a friends Baby Shower last week (one of the benefits of storing items until the next gathering), they were so useful, and really looked pretty great in our setup.
     

So every morning, with leftovers in hand, when I call to my girls from the back door (Here Girly, Girly, Girly, Girly, Girlies!), it's the Ugly Step Sister(s) stumbling along, that makes me smile the most.  

2 comments:

  1. Those trays are very cool looking! Love all of your great chickens too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for all your help today. Also thank you for your kind comments!

      Delete